I obtained my Masters of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from the University of Northern Colorado, a CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs) program. I received training in the areas of: understanding children and adolescents, trauma, play therapy, theories, substance use, lifespan development, groups, family systems, ethics, diverse populations, diagnosis, consultation, career, appraisal and assessments, practicum and internships. Within all of these classes I found myself looking further into how they are impacted by trauma. I searched and participated in outside trainings focusing more on trauma because I wanted to understand how it affected us as a whole and our everyday lives.
When I started seeing child clients during my practicums and internships I started noticing a lot of the presenting symptoms were from the traumatic experience that child had been exposed to and wasn’t able to verbally express and process through that experience. At this time I knew that I wanted to be a part of these children’s stories in helping them explore and process through the traumatic experiences they were exposed to.
I continue to engage in seminars, webinars, trainings and conferences where I learn from experts in the mental health field. My passion is working with children in a play therapy setting and I continue to do further research on play therapy but also on the impacts that trauma has on children’s daily lives and how I can help them process through their experiences to build resiliency.
I have a list below of people and subjects I have received certificates in from attended seminars, trainings, and conferences:
- Child and Adolescent Certificate – University of Northern Colorado
- “Introduction to Human Trafficking in Colorado” by Maria Trujillo and for more information on her work: http://www.co4kids.org/community/truth-about-child-sex-trafficking-and-how-learn-more
- “The Impact of Trauma and Neglect on the Developing Child” by Dr. Bruce Perry and for more information on his work: http://teacher.scholastic.com/professional/bruceperry/abuse_neglect.htm
- Real Life Heroes: Rebuilding Attachments for Children with Complex Trauma by Dr. Jennifer Wood Maze and for more information on her work: http://www.nctsnet.org/
- Mindfulness Interventions of ITCT-A by Dr. Jennifer Wood Maze and for more information on her work: http://www.nctsnet.org/
- Reducing the Risk of Child Sexual Abuse by Dr. Jennifer Wood Maze and for more information on her work: http://www.nctsnet.org/
- Psychological First Aid Online by Jennifer Wood Maze and for more information on her work: https://learn.nctsn.org/enrol/index.php?id=38
- Trained and Certified in Suicide ASSIST and for more information: https://www.livingworks.net/programs/asist/
- Pyramid Plus Certified and for more information: http://www.pyramidplus.org/
- CATALYST by Leadershape- Leadership Training: https://www.leadershape.org/Catalyst